10.11.2012

a very blizzardy Orc

Well, I finally got around to finishing that orc shaman DndD test that I made a rough for waaaaaay back, figure its better late than never! I also wanted a few more blizzardy things in my portfolio, because its a fun style to paint in and is always popular, so I wanted to have a few good examples of it represented in my port.
     Its not exactly my favorite style, but it translates really well into game and card art because of the bright colors and global lighting and all that. I do think that im going to put a hold on painting like this for a bit because I do have enough examples like this built up, and move on to more moody, mostly b&w pieces and get back to the basics of tone and value. Color, in all its complexities, boggle my little brain and I think I need to retreat from it a little bit for now.....Also, I am still having problems calibrating my monitor to the normal setting and I apologize if this is either way too saturated or faded out......my computer is getting along in years and there is something wonky with the way it shows color...


So, how is everybody else holding up?

2 comments:

  1. Solid work! Really liking this guy. Maybe add something else in the background or in the environment to set the mood a little more than just a grey scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Donal on this one but my main crit is that the face starts to get a little flattened out because all the lighting is really frontal. I think orcs have really interesting facial structure since they are so ape like, but it just doesn't come across in this one with the directly frontal light.

    As far as coping with aging computers, in August or so I bought a new monitor and it's done wonders for my painting work. Seeing things larger with brighter, truer colors has been wonderful and has greatly extended the length of my laptop/kept me from buying a desktop. Consider it, they're not super expensive, even for a really nice one!

    ReplyDelete